Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Kathmandu, Nepal

After eighteen hours of travelling, crossing three borders and four airports, we finally arrived at Kathmandu. It was a small airport but what welcomed us was the news that one of our luggage decided to ‘delay’ its arrival till the last flight, leaving us anxious about where it was. The airport officers assured us that the ‘naughty luggage’ would definitely arrive and we would be able to see it tomorrow.


So with a very tired body and a heavy heart we left the airport and met Jason, a friend of a friend who was so kind to take us for a meal and thereafter to our guest house, rightly names as “Mercy Guest house” cause that’s exactly what we needed at that moment.


After a good rest, we met the rest of the team from Singapore and of course our very naughty luggage and headed towards Kavre where we will be staying for a week.


As we travelled away from the dusty city, the four-wheeler took us up to the mountainous area and our breathing actually became smoother. It was an awesome picture all the way. Finally we arrived; that’s what I thought we did. But that was only an arrival at the feet of the hill that we were going to climb. When I saw the roads leading up, my jaw dropped and I gasped “What?!” (refer to some of the pics)


I finally gather myself together and managed to coax my nerves to strengthen up and I started the courageous climb. The first hurdle was manageable but as I climbed, the steeper it has become and the harder I breathed and the climb became a crawl. Before long my two faithful companions, each holding a side of my arms just like what Aaron and Hur did to Moses at the battle field came to the rescue. But the difference here was, Aaron and Hur were standing beside Moses, supporting his arms whereas I was literary hurled up the roads with my friends pulling my arms. Such a shameful state I have to admit. One of the local brothers even offered to carry me on his back and I shyly declined even though for a moment I was tempted to so doing thinking that it was not a bad idea at all. J


What welcomed us after that dreadful climb was worth all my ‘effort’. Serenity and majestic mountains filled my eyes. I marveled at God’s creation and I breathed in a deep sense of tranquility, “God, indeed great is your faithfulness for they are new every morning.”


The next few days were teachings, preaching, working in the field, helping to build a green house for the ‘food for every family’ project and of course helping out in the kitchen. We had dhal bhat (it is rice and vegetable and a dhal curry) everyday, for almost all the meals except a bit of variety along the way. Thanks to our sisters who insisted in helping out in the kitchen and suggesting some new things that we would like to try (just to break the routine). But I have to admit that I got to love those dhal bhat because I realized that I got lighter and healthier with less meat and lots of exercise.

The Nepalese are very gentle people. Their culture are quite similar with the Indians with a mixture of Chinese (you don’t believe this; this is because they are next to Tibet). Their hearts are open but bound by tradition and religious piety.


But for the few who have accepted the Lord, they are fearless in presenting the gospel in the face of persecution and a hard ground to plough. Yet they relentlessly and diligently ministering out of love for their own people. In comparison with what we have here in the so-called civility, our church has fallen into contemplation which any changes may mean crucifixion on the cross.


If there is one thing I have learnt, it is their fervent prayer and total dependence on our Lord Jesus Christ. They have nothing much, yet much is given. When they do not have, they lean on the Provider; when they suffer, they draw from Comforter; when they are in lack, they call on the Great Shepherd. What a faith they have; a practical faith in their lives. May God continue to bless our brethren in Nepal and raise up many more churches to bring the good news to those in need. Amen!